Scrum is like a house, where the team can be safe and self-organize. They will build trust and continuous improvement. Respect Scrum team as an ecosystem will help the team evolve and build up teamwork, and the values will come Day by Day, Sprint by Sprint.
In every Sprint, Sprint Retrospective is an excellent chance to inspect and adapt the way of working. There are many formats to help Scrum Master facilitates the Sprint Retrospective. But I always think about the format that can focus on the team environment, the ecosystem. I keep thinking and uphold that idea, and I found the inspiration from the "Parable of the Soils”. Borrow that parable; I create the Sprint Retrospective format “The 4 Soils”. The meaning of this format is to focus on how to help the Scrum team define what is the good/ bad impact to the house o of Scrum. From that, team will have the action or change to improve/ maintain the ecosystem.
Guide to facilitate:
1. The facilitator explains the method and 4 areas with the team (5-10 min):
2. The facilitator asked the question: How do you think about the last sprint? which are The Birds, The Rocky Ground, The Thorns, and The Good Soil?
3. Go through 4 areas with the team. Invite a discussion in each area. (15 - 20 min)
4. The facilitator asked the question: "How can we improve the environment in the next sprint?"
5. Help team order 3 top actions need to do to improve the environment for the team. (10 min)
This format will help the Scrum team, sprint by sprint, notice the harmful impacts, maintain the environment, and keep the "Good Soil".
I hope this format will help your Scrum team to have an effective Sprint Retrospective. How do you think? I welcome to get the feedback to improve this format. Please share it by comment.
You can download the artwork above then try to apply the format here:
Link download Raw Artworks
The 4 Soils - Sprint Retrospective by Khoa Doan - Scrumviet is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Based on a work at https://www.scrumviet.org/blog/the-4-soils-sprint-retrospective.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at https://www.scrumviet.org/blog/the-4-soils-sprint-retrospective.
Name: Khoa Doan